Aroma in Therapy
- Essential oils are used in ayurvedic therapies for subtle, complete and accelerated healing.
- Essential oils play an important role in transdermal
formulations and skin care that spices do in cooked preparations
and compound herbal formulations that we eat.
- Apart from being powerful healers, they work as yogavahis (those optimizes the bio-availability of other herbs).
- Essential oils help create health through
the sense of smell, and many offer targeted benefit for different
subdoshas (all doshas hve 5 or more subdoshas).
- Example: Rose is renowned for
its ability to pacify Pitta aggravation (overheating, red skin, burning sensation),
and in particular Sadhaka Pitta, the subdosha of Pitta that governs
the emotional heart.
- Example: Sandalwood is another aroma that helps pacify Pitta, particularly,
- Example: Lavender helps pacify Prana Vata, the subdosha of Vata that governs the mind and nervous system, and thus helps promote restful sleep.
- Like herbs, aromas need to be combined carefully for synergistic results. If used incorrectly, aromas can actually create health conditions and lead to irritation, headaches and the like.
Download more info here.